Insert takes too much time

From: Ronen Levit <ronen.levit_at_talmai.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 19:56:07 +0200

Hi all,

I have two machines - NT4 (8.1.5.1) and Sun Solaris 2.7 (8.1.6). They both give same I/O performance outside of Oracle (on both read and write tests).

When running simple procedure that inserts 10,000 / 100,000 / 1,000,000 rows into a simple table without indexes, I get results 3 times faster on the NT machine.

Both instances have almost the same oraini. Of course the Solaris has better parameters on memory and cpu parameters, as it should be.

Do you have any idea why there's a slight performance difference between the machines , and why the Sun is slower?! it's configuration should be at least as good as the NT.

Thanks,

Ronen Levit
Database team leader
www.talmai.com