Unix Oracle Binaries

From: Leng Kaing <leng.kaing_at_hancorp.com.au>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:36:27 +1100

Hello everyone,

Where does one go to get a list of what the Oracle binaries in $ORACLE_HOME/bin stand for? eg, dbassist is Oracle Database Assistant? I know I can just do a trial and error type of test by just running the binaries but I don't really want to just run anything without knowing what it does in the first place!

eg. try running "dbassist -?" and it comes back with "DISPLAY not set. Set DISPLAY environment variable, then re-run." Huh? Ok, it needs x-term. But what the heck is it?

One work-around would be to install the same version on NT and then look at the programs it calls from the icons, but G, this is taking it too far! Some people don't have to luxury of an NT box to play around with, let alone using it to just find out what the heck each binary stands for.

Thanks,

Leng.

Leng M Kaing
Email: leng.kaing_at_hancorp.com.au
Tel: 9843-8440
Fax: 9843-8590

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

www.mimesweeper.com