Re: How to Monitor fragmentation

From: oradba guess <oradba_guess_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 16:12:34 PST

Thanks Tom...

But in this case even with queries which go through table scans, we are getting into the problems. So probably dropping and recreating the indexes wouldn't help. The only option is to rebuild the table.

>From: "Tom Pall" <tom_at_cdproc.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
>Subject: Re: How to Monitor fragmentation
>Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 15:43:31 -0800
>
>Nasty business, these large inserts/deletes.
>
>Remember that when you rebuild indexes, Oracle places canned
>statistics in the data dictionary. Unless you are plan stability, you
>might want to delete or re-analyze the indexes after rebuild.
>
>Raising pctused to 99 and pctfree to 0 works for me in helping to
>reuse space under the high water mark.
>
>If possible, rename, create new table as select from old or alter
>table/move whenever possible helps. Especially if you had a big
>job once that gave you a bunch of now empty table extents.
>
>Possible to partition your tables so you can drop instead of delete?

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at Received on Wed Nov 01 2000 - 18:12:34 CST