RE: hmmm.....

From: Holman, Rodney <rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 12:02:25 -0600

I am well aware that theories are based upon a gathering of information and not speculation. The reasons that they are theories and not LAWS (i.e. laws of thermodynamics) is that they are not 100% replica table. They are classified as theories because there are still exceptions to them. My comments have to do with allowing the exceptions to be discussed. Not allowing FREE FLOW of discussion in the schools is what changes evolution from a scientific discussion into a religious one. That is exactly what the academic elite have done. There have been a number of teachers in the US disciplined for pointing out the fact that there are holes in the evolution theory (without discussing creation). THIS is what I am concerned with. If we are to teach a concept and allow students to come to intelligent deductive conclusions on it, we need to teach it warts and all. DNA changes happen and are documented, however they have all been intra-species. There are no documented inter-species changes that have been found in the fossil record (FACTS as you want them). These kinds of things need to be allowed to be discussed. MAYBE if done in a truly free manner (as we are on this list) some bright intelligent aspiring archaeologist may go on to find the bonified links in the fossil record to prove or disprove the arguments for all time. If they are not freely shared then it promotes laziness in thought processes and a censorship of ideas.

Most of chemistry is not based on theory though. As you get deeper into the science, it revolves around 3 laws. They are the laws of thermodynamics. Energy, specifically observable not theoretical electron manipulation, drives ALL chemical reactions. These are dependant on physical unchangeable laws.

Rodd