OT: bona fides / RE: hmmm.....

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:11:25 -0800

Mr. Holman,

As hilarious as was your typo about "bonified" (as in "bone - ified") fossils, I'd like to suggest a minor correction:

"bona fide" is latin, meaning something like "genuine", this presumably derived from "bona fides" (bona) "good" (fides) "intent" (eg, root of the "english" word fidelity???).

As per my other post, I think it is basically a loosing battle to try to justify the case for the dismantling of liberal atheistic school politics on "scientific" grounds. Science can't elevate the human spirit in the manner that our relationship to "the sacred" does, but it is a tool to find "truth". Religion can lead to great breakthroughs and progress in social ethics. Science is basically nuetral in that area, except that when science is "done" without reference to ethics, it can be a great evil (paradoxically, this is the same for religion).

In Islamic mysticism/philosophy, this was resolved by reference to "the hidden treasure", which is a spiritual essence placed by God within people, which they then have to struggle to self-discover by overcoming "animal nature". A literal interpretation of "animal nature" of course looks nonsensical from a "scientific" perspective, but I'd suggest what was meant by "animal nature" in the context of medieval, or earlier, cultures, has little to do with science. I base this on the fact that there was not concept of "science" in the medieval or earlier worlds that maps accuractly into the modern concept. "Animal nature" would probably be best interpreted as having metaphorical value representing the struggle to overcome "ungodly" behavior.

regards,
ep

On 1 Nov 2000, at 10:06, Holman, Rodney wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 01 Nov 2000 10:06:03 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
From:           	"Holman, Rodney" <rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com>
Subject:        	RE: hmmm.....