RE: An index being rebuilt changes it's extent sizes?

From: Diana Duncan <Diana_at_fileFRENZY.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:18:15 -0500

See below...

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Pall [mailto:tom_at_cdproc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 3:08 PM To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com; Diana_at_fileFRENZY.com Subject: Re: An index being rebuilt changes it's extent sizes?

>I am also confused.

By me? ;-)

>I have local indexes on partitioned tables, though not function-based.

>When I create the local indexes they go into the tablespace where I tell
them to go.
>Furthermore, since I do not specify DEFAULT, when I split a partition, the
new index
>partitions go into the previous tablespace I built the index in.

>When I issue a rebuild and specify the tablespace, the index gets rebuilt
into the
>tablespace I specified.

So you're saying that everything works for you. Well, I don't have a problem with the tablespaces, exactly. Just the number of extents it's allocating after a rebuild. It may help you to understand that each of my partitions has it's own DATA and INDX tablespaces. Since the base table is partitioned into the DATA tablespaces, creating the index with the LOCAL parameter puts the partitions for the index into the DATA tablespace. At this point, the number of extents are correct. I then want to rebuild them into the individual INDX tablespaces that correspond to the partition. After the rebuild, all of the partitions suddenly have 11 extents instead of Received on Wed Nov 01 2000 - 14:18:15 CST