RE: ANALYZE_SCHEMA

From: Shevtsov, Eduard <EShevtsov_at_flagship.ru>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:27:25 +0300

Hi Luc, Tom and List

I always thought that dbms_utility.analyze_schema works sequentially, step by step, object(table/index) by object. So if my current understanding is correct then the temp. usage increases because of increasing your biggest table (or index) in the schema.

PS. Luc, sorry. Now I know what TIA means. He-he, my empty head... :-)). My colleague was laughing 10min. Sorry again

Ed

This is not the answer to wanted. However, DBMS_STATS is a new and improved.
It does not, for example, drag your tables and indexes through the buffer cache the way
analyze does.

My instructor for an Oracle Internals class I recently took spoke glowingly about dbms_stats,
saying the sampling was so improved that if you want to know the distribution of a value within a
column of a table, plus or minus a small error, instead of issuing select count(*), use dbms_stats
with a very small sample size. You'll get the results much more quickly, and very accurately.

Hi all,

Since we are on Oracle 816, dbms_utility.analyze_schema need more space in temporary tablespace.
I increased my temporary tablespace from 1,5gig to 2,5 gig, and analyze_schema ask for more ?

Has someone ever noticed this ?

TIA Received on Wed Nov 01 2000 - 06:27:25 CST