CLOB's on 8.0 UTF8 databases

From: Weaver, Walt <wweaver_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 16:32:11 -0700

Okay, we all know that LOB's aren't supported on 8.0 databases with multibyte charactersets, right?

So, having forgotten this little tidbit, I created an 8.0.5 database with a UTF8 characterset for a developer to test some CLOB stuff. Of course, it didn't work and I wound up tucking my tail between my legs and setting up an 8.1.6 database for him instead. Job done.

But, just for grins, I logged into the 8.0.5 database as SYSTEM and tried creating a table with CLOB's in it. It created just fine. Perplexed, I logged in to a regular schema, tried to create the table, and got the multibyte characterset error.

So, what gives? Why, or how, can SYSTEM create this table on an 8.0.5 database? I'm stumped.

This is no big deal, and I'm not going to investigate it any further, but I was wondering if anyone out there had some enlightening information into this.

--Walt Weaver
  Bozeman, Montana, USA Received on Wed Nov 01 2000 - 17:32:11 CST