database link re-creation

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 08:14:37 -0500

Reposting - somebody has to be use database links. How do you handle = their recreation whem moving the datbase from production to development.

Anybody have a good way to recreate database links after copying a = production database to test.

For examp, in prod_1 link_a points to database prod_2.

After copying prod_1 to test_1, I would want link_a to to point to test_2. =  Other than do the following is there a better way:

  1. connect as the link's owner (since can not create a link in another = schema) by
    • storing current password
    • setting password to known value
    • connecting
  2. drop the old link and create the new one.
  3. put back the old password.

Since development, I tried updateing sys.link$ directly to change the = "host" name, but SQL still accessed original database!!

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113 Received on Wed Nov 01 2000 - 07:14:37 CST