High number of version counts for a block

From: Vivek <Vivek_at_1800FLOWERS.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 23:25:55 -0500

Hi :
I ran the following query to identify the number of versions of a block . The Block 40462, File#16 has 23 versions in CR mode. My question is why is there 23 versions of BLOCK - 40462, FILE# 23 when there are no updates,deletes,inserts going on in that table. This is a static table and is in the KEEP POOL. Only selects are occuring against this table since DB startup.
select count(*),file#,block#,status from v$bh group by file#,block#,status having count(*) > 5 order by 2,3,1;

COUNT(*) FILE# BLOCK# STAT
---------- ---------- ---------- ----

9                   1           20178    cr
8                 10             740      cr
23               16         40462      cr
17 16 40636 cr
8 16 114167 cr
7 21 73310 cr
6 29 13946 cr
14 67 35295 cr
10 67 35316 cr
10 67 35321 cr
12 67 35326 cr

COUNT(*) FILE# BLOCK# STAT
---------- ---------- ---------- ----

6                  79     30775        cr
6                 79      30798          cr
6 79 30799 cr
6 79 30802 cr
10 89 34845 cr
8 89 34846 cr
8 89 34847 cr
8 116 100846 cr
8 125 31107 cr
7 127 26887 cr
8 135 6994 cr

22 rows selected.

I ran a query to identify which objects are present in which pool. If the CR blocks of the objects in the KEEP buffer pool are created in DEFAULT buffer pool , I am not seeing any blocks belonging to the above object FILE 16 BLOCK 40462 any where in the DEFAULT buffer pool. Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong ? Received on Tue Oct 31 2000 - 22:25:55 CST