RE: RAID

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:47:12 -0500

Satar,
  Maybe I'm not explaining it clear enough or in terms we both understand. = I don't think that it has to do with the lunar phases of the moon and the = tides of the world.
  If you use the RAID 5 configuration of drives, the drives are treated as = one drive. As an example: if you have 5 -10 GIG drives used seperately as = individual drives you can place the 5 drives where ever you want and on = what controller you want. You have the full benefit of the 5 independent = drives. If you use the drives as a RAID5 configuration you in effect have = only 1 drive to use. The RAID5 configured drive. The total capacity of the = "drive" will be 40 GIG, not 50 GIG, because of the parity algorythem that = uses one of the drives. If you lose one of the physical drives in the = RAID5 configuration the values on that drive can be durived from the = values on the other 4 drives.
 As example: if the 5 drives have the values 1, 2, 3, 4, 10 stored on them = in the same stripe then you can calculate the missing value on the drive = stripe that was defective. 1+2+3+4=3D10. 10 being the "parity" information.=  Losing the first drive and calculating the value of the data stored is = 10-(2+3+4) =3D1.
 The RAID5 configuration is treated as one logical device (spindle) not 5 = logical devices.
HTH Received on Mon Oct 30 2000 - 08:47:12 CST