RE : sqlldr questions

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:03:16 +0100

Charlie,

   You cannot do a sanity check - there is no such thing as a dry sqlldr run. In fact, it depends on how dirty your data is. Dirty rows go to the .bad file. If your data is just mildly dirty (i.e. invalid dates, duplicate keys ...) it's pretty easy to edit the .bad file, correct what needs to be corrected, and use a control file similar to the original one but for two things :

    o load in APPEND mode
    o use the (corrected and renamed) .bad file as input file.

The unpleasant case is when your data contains the character(s) used as separators here and there, or cariiage returns while you have not specified anything for continuation rows, because then SQL*Loader is likely to load correctly partial rows and log partial rows to the .bad file too, which means that the clean-up will be painful (in other words, the 'good' case is when your .bad file contains full records). Unfortunately there is no easy way out I know. Concerning logging, use the DIRECT mode. It sometimes fails, but it will allow you to get back home (much) earlier.

--
Regards,

  Stephane Faroult
  email: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com