Re: Archive log-switch after on-line backup

From: Nikunj Gupta <good_dba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 01:04:02 -0700

Hi,

Someone must have already suggested by now.. But the best you could do is. . after you backup..

JUST switch the log files.. and backup till the most recent.. Leave the last archive log file..

I am telling you to leave the last archive log is because you have just performed a switch and there is nothing in the one that will be created after the LOG SWITCH..

This leaves ORACLE to work with the most recent log file.. and will not create a duplicate log file.. (As stated in your version).

You should be able to recover the database till the time last switch occured.. .. if LAST BACKUP is the only source of recovery.

Dear Listers' please correct me, if i am wrong.

Bye.

> Thanks for the url, but it's no help to me. What's in it isn't even
correct!

> First, my problem is that after a log-switch there is a veeery small start
> (512 bytes) of the current log as an .arc-file written to disk. If I move
> the files, I move this one too! Oracle keeps getting into a stress for it
> cannot find the .arc-file anymore....
>
> What's wrong in the url-document you stated is;
>
> Stephen Rea tels us to perform a 'archive log next', and then copy the
> files. This only writes the last FULL achive-log to disk. After doing a
> backup you want the CURRENT one, so you issue a 'archive log current'
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong....
>
> Eric Lansu

Rachael