RE: Boy am I lucky or what?

From: Holman, Rodney <rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:45:08 -0500

REUSE your hardware! Rather than taking your Novell server to 5.1 try going to LINUX. The base OS is downloadable for free and will work on your existing Intell architecture. It will even use your SMP box. You can convert your existing Oracle for Novell to Oracle for LINUX. When I went from Novell to NT in early 1999, the conversion fee was 10% of the license fee. Work with your sales rep and you may be able to get some sort of credit deal worked on the support liceneses. As far as LINUX goes, there are (for a fee of coures) companies that will sell you a distribution and OS support as well. RedHat (www.redhat.com) even has an Oracle Enterpise Server package for around $2500.00 that is the OS, some system tweaks for optimizing as a DB server, and support. I know the other vendors (Caldera, SUSE, etc.) also provide support contracts for their systems also.

Rodd Holman
Enterprise Data Systems Engineer
LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation
rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com
Comments made are my own opinions and views. They do not represent views, policies, or procedures of LodgeNet Entertainment Corporation