recover datafile

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuck_hamilton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:13:59 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1585990364-972663239=:10390

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question asking how to recover a datafile that had been quietly offlined months before and where the necessary archived logs to recover it were no longer available. Since I got no replies I guess that means that nobody had a solution. I thought I'd post the one that I eventually came up with after a little (very little) help from oracle tech. support (who insisted I needed to pay them $10k US to come on site and use a data unloader utility).

   Offline the tablespace containing the corrupt datafile. If you can't offline it, use "alter tablespace <name> offline for recover"    Create a partial clone database using the instructions in the backup and recovery manual under "tablespace point in time recovery". The tablespaces needed will be system, all rollback tablespaces, and the corrupted tablespace. The temporary tablespace is optional.    Add the following undocumented parameter to the clone instance's init.ora file - "_allow_resetlogs_corruption=true".    Start the clone instance

      startup nomount
      alter database mount clone database
      recover database using backup controlfile until cancel - immediately cancel the recovery
      alter database open resetlogs

   Export the corrupted table.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Messenger - Talk while you surf! It's FREE. --0-1585990364-972663239=:10390

<P>A couple of weeks ago I posted a question asking how to recover a datafile that had been quietly offlined months before and where the necessary archived logs to recover it were no longer available. Since I got no replies I guess that means that nobody had a solution. I thought I'd post the&nbsp;one that I eventually&nbsp;came up with after a little (very little) help from oracle tech. support (who insisted I needed to pay them $10k US to come on site and use a data unloader utility).</P>
<OL>
<LI>Offline the tablespace containing the corrupt datafile. If you can't offline it, use "alter tablespace &lt;name&gt; offline for recover"</LI>
<LI>Create a partial clone database using the instructions in the backup and recovery manual under "tablespace point in time recovery". The tablespaces needed will be system, all rollback tablespaces, and the corrupted tablespace. The temporary tablespace is optional.</LI>
<LI>Add the following undocumented parameter to the clone instance's init.ora&nbsp;file&nbsp;- "_allow_resetlogs_corruption=true".</LI>
<LI>Start the clone instance</LI>
<UL>
<LI>startup nomount</LI>
<LI>alter database&nbsp;mount clone database</LI>
<LI>recover database using backup controlfile until cancel - immediately cancel the recovery</LI>
<LI>alter database open resetlogs</LI></UL>