RE: Oracle NT Automatic mailing

From: Jeff Cox <jeff.cox_at_ips-sendero.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:55:08 -0000

Saroj,

I know of one easy (and FREE!!) way to do what I think you are looking for.  It is not complicated, takes a short time to set up, and although it has no bells and whistles, it does exactly what I need it to do. It is using a product called BLAT. You can download it for free at http://gepasi.dbs.aber.ac.uk/softw/Blat.html

You will be able to send e-mail using the WinAT scheduler and Blat by following the instructions below:

  1. Copy the file Blat.exe to your \WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory, or to any other directory in your path.
  2. At a DOS command prompt type: Blat -install yourhost.site.blah.blah youruserid_at_site.blah.blah, where yourhost.site.blah.blah is the address of your SMTP server and youruserid_at_site.blah.blah is the default From: address.
  3. Make a batch file containing a command similar to the one below:

blat export.log -s "Subject line of e-mail blah blah" -t jeff.cox_at_ips-sendero.com, jane.doe_at_oracle.com -f orabackup_at_ips-sendero.com

list the file that you want to send, right after blat, and the contents of that file will appear in the e-mail (in my example, export.log)
-s is what you want the subject of the e-mail to say
-t is for who you wish to send the e-mail to
-f will be who the e-mail is from.

In the batch file, set the ORACLE_SID before the blat command or you might bump into a some issues.

4. Schedule WinAT to run the batch file after your backup process is finished and it will e-mail the log files to whomever you choose automatically.

Let me know if you would like any assistance.

Jeff Cox
IPS-Sendero
Scottsdale, AZ