Re: Boy am I lucky or what?

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:52:06 -0700

I haven't looked that Metalink "lifecycle" stuff for Netware lately to see if they "locked down" an EAS (extended assistance support) end date, but the last time I did look, it was very abiguous at best. Typically EAS runs for about 2 or three years after "desupport". I also went through several weeks of getting an incredible amount of evasion and nonsense from our Oracle account rep about the Netware/EAS issue. Of course we are on a higher-ed site-license/discount thing, so I guess they figure they don't have to work all that hard on providing "non-critical" info. We are on the verge of starting our conversion from O7.3.2 on NW3.123 to O8i on Win2000. My guess is that the NW3.12 box would sit there and run forever with O7.3.x, but things would get kinda wild&crazy if there was a hardware failure and we needed to deal with new drivers and that kind of stuff in order to do recovery. I'll be keeping zipped exports of our tables around as secondary backup in case we have to move them to another platform, and then also putting redundant copies of those and zipped database files on cdr.

regards,
ep

On 27 Oct 2000, at 6:26, Ruth Gramolini wrote:

Date sent:      	Fri, 27 Oct 2000 06:26:26 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
Send reply to:  	ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
From:           	"Ruth Gramolini" <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us>
Subject:        	Re: Boy am I lucky or what?