Re: Waits on archiving

From: John Kanagaraj <JKanagaraj_at_mfi.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:57:37 -0700

Hi David,

> What is the best method to tell if performance is degrading because of waiting on
> the archiver to write logs? I'm running 8.1.6 for Solaris.

Not sure as I don't have a 8.1.6 box to look at right now, but look for the wait event 'log file switch (archiving needed)' in V$SYSTEM_EVENT, as well as the alert log for any log file related messages.

John Kanagaraj

log file switch (archiving needed)
Waiting for a log switch because the log that the LGWR will be switching into has
not been archived yet. Check the alert file to make sure that archiving has not
stopped due to a failed archive write. To speed archiving, consider adding more
archive processes or putting the archive files on striped disks. Wait Time: 1 second
Parameters: None Received on Wed Oct 25 2000 - 13:57:37 CDT