RE: Re[2]: Re[2]:Upgrading Oracle

From: Seth Dunehew <sdunehew_at_medicalmatrix.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:01:34 -0500

I'm running into the same problem. We have some developers that are convinced that any time you join over two tables that performance will be abysmal. Any concrete examples would be greatly appreciated.

At one point there was a plot afoot to add a few columns to tables to track change history. That way any change would result in another row with the column changed, the old data, userid, timestamp. The only argument for it was that it would be easier and would not require multiple table joins to look up data. Writing reports on that data becomes more difficult, and if anyone creates a report and expects the database to be in a somewhat normalized form will create bogus reports.

Ah, such fun.

Thanks for listening

Seth

Author: Diana Duncan
  INET: Diana_at_fileFRENZY.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Oct 25 2000 - 13:01:34 CDT