Re: Oracle Names

From: Michael Ray <Michael.Ray_at_trw.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:04:02 -0700

--=_336BF0DF.83E21D63

Jeff,

I have no idea if installing new tools would write over your existing =
tnsnames and sqlnet files on the client. If it overwrites the latter, =
you'll have to reload them all anyway. However, doing an Oracle Names =
server is a fairly easy process. See Ch 6 of Net8 Admin book. What I don't = like about it is using the Java-based Net8 Assistant. To my knowledge, the = only java apps I've used have been from Oracle (the aforementioned Asst = and Universal Installer) and IMHO they are slow, huge memory hogs and = quite buggy. At least in 8.1.5, there are several annoying bugs in Asst so = read up on them beforehand. Anyway, aside from the interface the names = server is pretty simple. One of the bugs causes me to delete records from = the region database directly rather than trying to fight through it using = the Asst. However, it did work just fine when I tried a simple test case = in the Network Admin course I did last week using the same version so go = figure.

BTW, we do load each client with the sqlnet file since at least by = default, it will not have any preferred names servers listed. Once that's = done you shouldn't have to change it again unless something overwrites it.

Michael Ray
Oracle DBA
TRW, Marshall, IL
217-826-3011 x2438

>>> jklopping_at_oppd.com 10/25/00 11:11AM >>> We're thinking of installing Oracle Names on a largely Unix but occasional NT network.
Right now we manually distribute tnsnames.ora, which works OK but the = latest
Oracle=20
tools are being installed on the clients, which forces a tnsnames.ora on = the
client,=20
unless we go to Oracle Names. =20

True? Any horror stories? Any success stories? Any tips? =20

Anyone brave enough to take phone calls during our installation? (respond privately if you wish...)=20

Thanks in advance...=20

Thanks,
Jeff

--=20
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com --=20
Author: KLOPPING, JEFFREY L
  INET: jklopping_at_oppd.com

--=_336BF0DF.83E21D63

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px">
<DIV>Jeff,</DIV>
<DIV>I have no idea if installing new tools would&nbsp;write over your existing
tnsnames and sqlnet files on the client. If it overwrites the latter, you'll have to reload them all anyway. However, doing an Oracle Names server is a fairly easy process. See Ch 6 of Net8 Admin book. What I don't like about it is using the Java-based Net8 Assistant. To my knowledge, the only java apps I've used have been from Oracle (the aforementioned Asst and Universal Installer) and IMHO they are slow, huge memory hogs and quite buggy. At least in 8.1.5, there are several annoying bugs in Asst so read up on them beforehand. Anyway, aside from the interface the names server is pretty simple. One of the bugs causes me to delete records from the region database directly rather than trying to fight through it using the Asst. However, it did work just fine when I tried a simple test case in the Network Admin course I did last week using the same version so go figure.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>BTW, we do load each client with the sqlnet file since at least by default,
it will not have any preferred names servers listed. Once that's done you shouldn't have to change it again unless something overwrites it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Michael Ray<BR>Oracle DBA<BR>TRW, Marshall, IL<BR>217-826-3011
x2438<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; jklopping_at_oppd.com 10/25/00 11:11AM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>We're thinking of installing Oracle Names on a largely Unix but occasional<BR>NT network.<BR>Right now we manually distribute tnsnames.ora, which works OK but the latest<BR>Oracle <BR>tools are being installed on the clients, which forces a tnsnames.ora on the<BR>client, <BR>unless we go to Oracle Names.&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR><BR>True?&nbsp; Any horror stories?&nbsp; Any success stories?&nbsp; Any tips?&nbsp; <BR><BR>Anyone brave enough to take phone calls during our installation? (respond<BR>privately if you wish...)
<BR><BR>Thanks in advance... <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Jeff<BR><BR>-- <BR>Please see
the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
href="http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com</A><BR>-- <BR>Author: KLOPPING, JEFFREY L<BR>&nbsp; INET: <A
href="mailto:jklopping_at_oppd.com">jklopping_at_oppd.com</A></DIV></BODY></HTML> Received on Wed Oct 25 2000 - 16:04:02 CDT