Re: Re[2]: Re[2]:Upgrading Oracle

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 03:01:13 GMT

oh that was minor compared to today's rant... a third party product that denormalizes tables because their "experts" told them that if you have more than 4 tables in a join performance suffers significantly.

So instead of a parent table with a child table that contains one row for each option selected, I have ONE table with a column for every possible option, and a Y/N switch for each one. AND just to make it even more interesting, if you want to add a new option, the product automatically adds a new column to the table. We expect to have something like 5-15 million rows in that table. And we will do selections for mass emails based on each of those columns. Which I can't index, so we will do multiple full table scans on a table way too large to pin into the buffer pool.

I managed not to foam at the mouth. And made sure that EVERYONE in that meeting knew that I thought that this design was going to cause us major performance problems that I could not necessarily do DBA magic to remove. Sigh......

Rachel

>From: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
>To: "Rachel Carmichael" <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>, Multiple recipients
>of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
>Subject: Re[2]: Re[2]:Upgrading Oracle
>Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:35:20 -0400
>
>Nice to see I can still get a rise out of you. Cheers!!
>
>Dick Goulet

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at Received on Tue Oct 24 2000 - 22:01:13 CDT