RE: "create table as" statement versus an "insert into" stateme

From: Kieran Murray <kieran.murray_at_norkom.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:03:02 +0100

Heidi,

The CREATE TABLE .. AS SELECT uses temporary segment space to store the data from the original table which is then bulk loaded into the new table. It doesn't use rollback segments and utilizes memory more efficiently. In addition the performance of CREATE TABLE AS SELECT statements can be further improved in two ways :
1) by parallelism (using the PARALLEL hint) so that multiple CPUs can be used to carry out the command
2) using the NOLOGGING clause, which will disable redo log generation for the table creation statement.

Check out the Oracle documentation on parallel execution at :- http://www.sch.bme.hu/misc/oracle8/server/a58227/ch_paral.htm

Regards,
Kieran