Re: Deallocate channel vs Release channel in RMAN

From: Tammy Bednar <Tammy.Bednar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:31:17 -0700

Rick,

There is no RMAN command deallocate Channel, only release channel.

When you allocate a channel, causes operating system resources to be allocated depends on your operating system. On some platforms, operating system resources are allocated at the time the command is issued. On other platforms, operating system resources are not allocated until you open a file for reading or writing.

In the doc for Release Channel it says : To release a channel while maintaining the connection to the target database instance. Specify the channel name with the same identifier used in the allocate channel command. This command is optional; RMAN automatically releases all channels allocated when the run command terminates.

HTH,
Tammy
"The statements and opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation."

"Cale, Rick T (Richard)" wrote:

> Hi DBAs,
>
> In the doc I have it says DEALLOCATE CHANNEL closes the channel and
> interface to the OS
> and RELEASE CHANNEL releases the channel.
>
> Can someone explain in more detail what RELEASE CHANNEL does? It is not
> clear to me.
>
> Thanks
> Rick
>
> Rick Cale, Science Applications International Corp.
> Phone:865-481-2198, fax:865-481-8555
> e-mail: caler_at_saic.com

> Author: Cale, Rick T (Richard)
> INET: RICHARD.T.CALE_at_saic.com

Tammy Bednar
Backup & Recovery Product Manager
Data Storage Technologies    phone:  650.506.4780
Server Technologies      fax:    509.461.4477
Oracle Corporation      email:  Tammy.Bednar_at_oracle.com