Segments and Datafiles

From: Raghav Vinjamuri <raghav_r_vinjamuri_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:10:15 GMT

Hi,

   Here's a question that has nudged my brain-cells    into hyper-activity all morning :-)

   Extents cannot span datafiles. Right?    How about Segments? Since multiple extents make up    a segment - it would be logical to assume that    segments can span datafiles of a given tablespace.

   However, I have been unable to find explanations    either proving or disproving the premise.

   Let's assume that segments cannot span datafiles    of a given tablespace.

   Assuming that segments can span datafiles - indicates    all the data into a tablespace object could potentially    be housed in one segment - for example - all the data    for a table could be in one segment of type data, or    an index segment ...

   Would this reasoning be correct.
   I'm missing something :-(

Any help/pointers appreciated.
Thanks,
-Raghav

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at Received on Tue Oct 24 2000 - 16:10:15 CDT