Re: Clarification -- NUMERIC data type always takes up 22 bytes.

From: Stefan Moeding <s.moeding_at_ndh.net>
Date: 23 Oct 2000 19:11:12 +0200

Hi!

Victoria Financial VICTORIA FINANCIAL writes:

> My bad - I should have selected vsize(field) to see how much is actully
> allocated for the data in the column.

> However I still have something that I can not explain. I have a table that
> has a PRIMARY KEY that is too big in my opinion:

> The recap:
> 1. Actual size of the index is ~ 40Mb

This includes all the blocks allocated to the segments. Those blocks do not contain application date alone but also a block header used by oracle. If I'm not mistaken this sums up to about 200 bytes *per* block.

> 2. Actual size of the data that should be stored in the index is ~
> 14Mb

This contains only your indexed columns. Your are missing the rowid, which sums up to another 12Mb (2 million rows * 6 byte).

> 3. Index INIT_EXTENT = 10Mb, NEXT = 5Mb, PCT_FREE=0, MIN_EXTENTS = 1
> 4. Index has just been rebuilt.

There is probably more to add.

--
Stefan

------------------------------

 From: "Anil Sikri" <anil_sikri_at_hotmail.com>
 Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:15:25 CDT
 Subject: RE: ORA-12547:TNS:LOST CONTACT

Hi Mala,
        I think I know what the problem is since I have already experienced
it when migrating databases from HP to SUN.
Are you sure nothing else has changed except the physical location of
the server ?
Make sure your PATH is set in the .profile of your Unix server.
If not, set it appropriately.
Now go to $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib and relink the Oracle executable as
follows :
           make -f ins_rdbms.mk ioracle

This should solve your problem and you should be able to connect using
Server Manager.

Let me know how it works out.

Regards,
Anil Sikri

http://profiles.msn.com.

------------------------------

 From: Winnie_Liu_at_infonet.com
 Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:28:20 -0700
 Subject: Re: Urgent! Online redo log files corruption

Hey.. thanks for all the post concerning this subject. And like what Tom
and Rachel suggest, I better follow the Oracle support this time and do a
pure Cancel based recovery. And btw, he is almost one of the best support I
ever got on the phone with. After doing a cold backup on the database
(before restore and recovery), he actually taught me some strange method to
"increase" the SCN on the system manually! :P Even though it does not work
the way we want it, but it was quite an experience.

Thanks everyone!

Winnie
:)

"Tom Pall" <tom_at_cdproc.com>@fatcity.com on 10/22/2000 10:15:21 AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by:  root_at_fatcity.com

To:   Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
cc:

Oracle has idiot checks inside the database and does record when we do
unsupported
things.  If you want to have an Oracle supported database, you must follow
their instructions.
Using the hidden parameter and not exporting/importing into a new database
may not
reveal at first any problems.  However the fact that you did so IS
recorded.