RE: Database design tool

From: Rao, Maheswara <Maheswara.Rao_at_Sungardp3.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:19:43 -0400

Diana,

We are using Designer 6 for our ERD and server model generation. Currently, our systems are small in nature (i.e., less number of tables). However, we are planning to design a OLTP system (which will be having 4,000 transactions inserts per minute hitting the Oracle db) Schema will have around 40 tables (transaction and Master tables; this number does not include look up tables). Also, we are in the process of developing Oracle warehouse for the same system. Currently, we are in the process of identifying a consultant organization.

Question: We are thinking of using Designer for generation and maintenance of ERD. Also for the generation and maintenance of server db. Front end will be written in Java. Any stored procedures will be written manually (i.e. Designer will not be used for the generation of stored procedures). Given the above scenario, do you think we will face problems with Oracle designer as we move along down the road?

Your opinion will be helpful for us in making the right choice early in this project.

Thanks,

Rao

Maheswara.Rao_at_SunGardP3.com