Re:Upgrading Oracle

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:37:55 -0400

Kimberly,

    Hold everything. Are you sure the OS is being upgraded to HP11 64 bit? All of the older 10.20 platforms are supposedly only upgradeable to 32 bit (so my SA says). Anyway, if your going to move to HP11 64 Bit, move on over to 8.1.6 64 bit a well. It performs much better, believe me. The only problem is that your upgrade has to be via export/import as the datafiles are not compatible (at least according to OWS).

Dick Goulet
Waiting on OCP certificate.

Subject: Upgrading Oracle
Author: Kimberly Smith <kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com> Date: 10/23/00 11:00 AM

I have to upgrade one of my databases and just want to check on any concerns/issues.

We currently are running Oracle 8.0.4.0 on HP10.20 32-bit. We are upgrading the OS to HP11 64-bit. As a result we are upgrading Oracle. I have decided to go to Oracle 8.1.6 32-bit. We are only doing basic stuff in this database so I am not to concerned with bugs.

Has anyone attempted a similar upgrade? What issues did you end up with? My big concern is that if the Oracle upgrade fails we have to actually reinstall the OS back to 10.20. I am already looking at a really long time to bring the database back from tape for the first install. I am not to concerned about the OS upgrade as they have done that 7 times successfully already. Just the first time we have thrown Oracle in the mix.

Kimberly Smith
EDS
Fujitsu/GMD
21015 SE Stark St
Gresham, OR
97030
Phone: (503) 669-6050
Fax : (503) 669-5705

Author: Kimberly Smith
  INET: kimberly.smith_at_gmd.fujitsu.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Oct 23 2000 - 14:37:55 CDT