open_cursors

From: <aheda_at_cdotd.ernet.in>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 18:58:14 +0500 (GMT+0500)

hilist members
I am facing some problebs with error open_cursor exceeds maxopencursors. I am having certain doubts regarding this parameter and would be thankful if somebody correct me .

  1. what I interpret with this parameter is that it assigns the maximum limit to the opencursorin sga at any given time.
  2. every query which is parsed differently opens a new cursor and the exactly similar query uses the same cursor( please correct me if I am wrong.)

If this is the case then how long the open cursor remains in the memory and how and hen it will be removed to make spacefor the new cursors to open.. ( I am not using any explict call to open cursor in my application , although we are also having an java application on the same database which uses some dataset objects and they may be using this open cursor internally , but if it is there than also these cursors should be closed with the destruction of these objects.
 Is it not like that if any query is parsed and it is found in some open cursor that that is used and if it is a new query than a new cursor is opened if all the cursors are not used yet . but if we have used number of cursor=MAX OPEN_CURSOR , then what will happen , will this throws an error.
and if it results an errir than does it implies that we should have as many open_cursor as the type of possible query in the application. Received on Mon Oct 23 2000 - 08:58:14 CDT