Dynamic Update

From: David Barbour <DBarbour_at_connectsouth.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 11:20:20 -0500

Hi,

I'm trying to update a record in a table when it's selected. There are a series of tables from which records are obtained, and I've successfully written the PL/SQL that gets among other things the table name and the rowid for the record. Now I need to update a status field.

The variables are:

	table_name = v_table
	rowid = whichrow
	v_status:='GOT'

The following statement won't work: Update table ||v_table|| set ld_status = v_status where rowid = whichrow;

I get the following error:

	PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "|" when expecting one of the
         following:
         (

I've tried a variety of combinations of single quotes and concatenation, but so far, no success. Any ideas?

David A. Barbour
Oracle DBA - ConnectSouth
512-681-9438
dbarbour_at_connectsouth.com Received on Sun Oct 22 2000 - 11:20:20 CDT