Calculating with ROWID

From: Andreas Jung <ajung_at_sz-sb.de>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:00:40 +0200

Following problem: I create
table XX(docnum number) with a subselect. Usually the table contains about 1.000.000 rows. For some reasons some JDBC client application need to access some of the first rows or some of the last rows of the table.

Accessing the first rows is very fast when I use a scrollable resultset and when I use ResultSet.absolute(num) to the cursor to the position I want. But ResultSet.last() takes very very long. I think the cursor runs through the complete table. Any idea how to make this better ?

My idea: get the ROWID of the first row and do some calculations. It seems That ROWID consist of an alphabet [A-Za-z0-9+/]. So it would be possible to calculate the ROWID of the n-th row. Is this assumption right ? Received on Fri Oct 20 2000 - 04:00:40 CDT