Re: internal error when selecting from V$PWFILE_USERS.

From: Tom Pall <tom_at_cdproc.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 08:02:41 -0500

That's what happened.

The DBA issued, from an NT sql*plus client, a select * from v$pwfile_users. Client received Ora-600, then end-of-communication message. Oracle server created a trace file listing the sql and process information, logged the Ora-600 and creation of the trace file in the alert log, aborted all of the Oracle processes, removed $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/sgadef.dat.

I restarted the database with svrmgrl, connect internal, startup.

I was not shocked that the Ora-600 brought down the Oracle Server. 18 months before, I was DBA to an Oracle 7.3.4 database on NT. There were lots of communication problems and the database often stopped, with Ora-600 [12333] errors. [12333] errors typically just stop the dedicated server (sql*net) process, not the entire database. ----- Original Message -----