Re: ecommerce pkgs (somewhat off-topic)

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:33:33 -0700

Back in mid-1999, I checked this one out, not for technical reasons, but because of a stock tip:

   http://www.broadvision.com/OneToOne/SessionMgr/home_page.jsp

Right after that, a friend asked me about feasibility of setting up a local (n. california) "co-op" type eCommerce site to broker wine grapes from small farmers to home vintners, so I went to BV's web site, and put in some info so that their marketing people would contact me. The only thing I ever got was a bunch of email bounces, presumably because their web server was choking. (?!?) I even called, and left a message saying I thought it was ridiculous, but never heard anything. The impression I got from looking at the marketing part of their web site is that it is basically a high-end product, so I lost interest in BV in terms of the wine brokering thing since it was probably going to be a low end project.

At that time, I did find a number of web sites put together by developers/techies that had the theme of "BV sucks". From what I could gather, performance typically was horrible, etc. (code bloat?). Of course, who can trust that kind of anectodal stuff (you know how those web developers are!). Any product is going to attract critics that hand out on the fringe. One the other hand, they might be right, at least to some extent. You might want to check out those industry publications that you can subscribe to that do specific product evals.

I think one or two people on this list have mentioned that they were running and/or testing/evaluating BV.

regards,
ep

On 18 Oct 2000, at 23:50, Shane wrote:

Date sent:      	Wed, 18 Oct 2000 23:50:22 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
Send reply to:  	ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
From:           	Shane <orac_mail_at_shane.economicsamerica.org>
Subject:        	ecommerce pkgs (somewhat off-topic)