(no subject)

From: <Val_Gamerman/Victoria_Financial.VICTORIA_FINANCIAL_at_lnn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:24:16 -0400

In all the years that I have dealt with Oracle (both as a developer and a DBA --
altogether 3 years) I never stopped to pay much attention to the fact that when
you define a field in a table as NUMERIC, no matter what precision and scale you
define for it, you are always going to get 22 bytes allocated for this field in
the table. While I see the benefit of being able to store really large numbers
in the database, most of the time it's a waste. Let's say I wanted to store a record for each person living on the planet -- ~
7bln records.
The record would only have one field -- a unique ID of this person, starting
with 1,2,3, ...
Thus the max number I would want to store would be 7,000,000,000, plus planning
for potential population growth - ~35 bln in 10 years. If I allocate 22 bytes for each of these numbers I would end up needing approx.
140Gb right away.
If there was a way for me to only allocate 6 bytes (plenty of space for billions), I would only need 40Gb.
My question is: is there a way to do it in Oracle? I just went through documentation for 7.3.4 and this is the only data type available (there others but they are just synonyms of NUMERIC). If somebody can shed the light on this I would be very appreciative. Thanks,
Val Gamerman.

 From: Praful Thakkar <thakkar_praful_at_yahoo.com>  Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:28:44 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Oracle Names

Can ORACLE NAMES SERVER be implemented on Oracle Standard Edition (8.1.5)?

I have tried it unsuccesfully and read in one of the forums that it cannot be implemented, but not sure of it. I have followed steps from some of the papers from Metalink to imelement it. It works fine and names server starts fine, but starting listener after registering it with name server returns ORA-12537/ORA-12560. TIA.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Messenger - Talk while you surf! It's FREE. http://im.yahoo.com/

 From: Satar Naghshineh <Satar.Naghshineh_at_irvine.mellesgriot.com>  Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:20:37 -0700
 Subject: RE: Oracle statistics management report

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C039E8.84419270

In the old days (7.3.4), Oracle had a GUI tool called Performance Manager. It did exactly what you're looking for. You could do a screen shot of the Received on Thu Oct 19 2000 - 11:24:16 CDT