Re: Schema management

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:16:14 -0400

One of the problems you will encounter with one schema owner is the = deletion of data with the truncate command. In order to be able to use the = truncate command the user has to be given the "delete any table " grant. = To get around this problem I have build those tables in the schema of the = user with the need for the grant and then applied the other needed grants = to the other users. I feel that it is easier to manage the privileges to = the tables with one owner where applicable and use different roles for = different access needs.
HTH
ROR =AA=BF=AA
>>> beckerb_at_mfldclin.edu 10/18/00 10:20AM >>>
Hello,

Is there any accepted best practice regarding schema management? We are a small datawarehouse experiencing growing pains; currently, we use a different owner account for each application area, but applications are frequently crossing schema boundaries and using tables from several schemas. The suggestion has been made to use a single schema which would own everything, and control privileges entirely thru roles. This would simplify development, but I wonder what the disadvantages would be (other than the security concern over having everything in one schema; is this something to worry about?). Using Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris with Cognos tools.

Thanks to any responders.
beckerb_at_dgabby.mfldclin.edu=20
--=20
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com=20 --=20
Author: Bill Becker
  INET: beckerb_at_mfldclin.edu=20

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Oct 18 2000 - 09:16:14 CDT