RE : Re: DATE 5th OCT, 1582 not coming

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:23:04 +0200

Brian,

  As Tim Sawmiller rightly pointed out, October 1582 was when the Pope decided to readjust the Gregorian calendar which had not quite kept in synch with the sun since the VIth century AD or about. I am unsure about northern, protestant Europe, but it affected the Roman Catholic part of Continental Europe, and, quite obviously, the then Spanish/Portuguese/French Americas (that is, the very few people who then had an idea about the current date). As keen as ever to embrace innovations coming from across the Channel, the British waited until the XVIIIth century to do the same, hence the Sybase range of supported dates (let's add that the state of relationships between the English crown (Elizabeth 1st) and the Pope was rather lukewarm).

--
Regards,

  Stephane Faroult
  email: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com