RE : Re: Schema management

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:52:40 +0200

An now for the devil's advocate : what about having one application becoming so successful that somebody decides that it needs its proper server ? Migration, anybody ? Or if one application is supposed to run 24x7 with most of others doing a 5 days a week 9 to 5 ? Or if one application is developed with a client tool T1, another one with another client tool T2, and that a bug in T2 requires an Oracle upgrade unsupported by T1 ? Database splits may occur.  I don't think that there is a simple answer. Our aim usually is to minimise future pain by smartly anticipating on weird requirements coming from elsewhere which you will be unable to fend off. Try to guess what your database will be in a few months, and choose the organisation which minimises the number of W/E spent in front of a screen.

--
Regards,

  Stephane Faroult
  email: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com