Re: internal error when selecting from V$PWFILE_USERS.

From: Tom Pall <tom_at_cdproc.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:27:24 -0500

It killed a Solaris 2.6 (this happened a year ago), Oracle 8.0.5.0 EE database.

It also got the DBA's privs on the production databases lifted. After I brought the database back up, I did some investigating, found what had crashed the database.

Knowing who would be issuing such queries, I asked the DBA (who did not know the database had crashed). The OCP DBA, replied that he tried the query in his play database on NT and it crashed his database. So to verify, he tried the query out in

  1. A development database? No.
  2. A test database? No.
  3. The most critical of our production databases? Yes.

But he also, when I was talking about a particular database and stating that the table data took up about 30 GB, indexes took about 45 GB, asked how it could be possible for the indexes to take up more space than tables.

He is no longer with us.