Re: Start/Stop a Listener

From: John Kanagaraj <JKanagaraj_at_mfi.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:25:18 -0700

Hi Mark,

> We have a listener.ora file that has been updated to show an extra
> port for a connection. Now as I understand the listener has to be
> bounced for that change to take effect right?

The listener need not be bounced - it can be reloaded. The command is 'lsnrctl reload'. This will not kill any processes, but will just refresh the listener tables.

> So.. if we need to bounce the listener, would that have any affects on
> a production database? if so is there any way to get around it?

The listener establishes a new connection for the client/server connection on a new port, hands the whole connection over to the two communicating processes and literally steps back. Restart/reload does not affect existing connections. You should make sure however that the listening port numbers on the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora match.

Hth, Received on Tue Oct 17 2000 - 11:25:18 CDT