RE: Is there anything in Oracle comparable to SQL server "private

From: Mohan, Ross <Ross.Mohan_at_PictureVision.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:58:08 -0400

Rick,

you wanted something that "...only lives for the life of the session..."

So......you can save it in a text file, and execute it as many times as you like.

IF, however, that is not possible or desirable, there is really nothing wrong, bad, non-performant, or deviant about using a stored procedure. <G>

After, all, if you DO intend to run it again, you can pin it and save some parse effort.

And if you DON'T intend to run it again, the anonymous PL/SQL you write need not be stored in a file!

Of course, you can always migrate to SQLServer, and use Transact-SQL. Yippee!

hth

p.s. I *do* think SS2K will likely take over the world, but i'll

	be with Mladen, up on the ramparts, fighting all the way,
	with the veins of other dbms' DBAs in my teeth.

Author: Cale, Rick T (Richard)
  INET: RICHARD.T.CALE_at_saic.com