Re: Bribing the SA (Mythos vs Reality)

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:26:09 GMT

Jack,

Fair enough... I should have been more specific... OPS is not an HA solution to loss of a site (that city grid going down -- we had a Con Ed substation blow a transformer -- OPS wouldn't have helped in that case, you can't bring up an instance without power and I can't restore and roll forward either). I do tend to use HA solution interchangeably with BC solution. I just want to make sure I can continue business under any conditions short of nuclear war. :)

Not all failures are hardware related... some are code, some are "fat fingers", hey, I freely admit to dropping production tablespaces accidentally... I ALWAYS admit when I screw up, gives me credibility when I say "this time it's not me"

Car washes -- depends on if your SA/DBA/admin likes his/her car shiny or not :)

Raw -- I don't know how to work it or administer it (from a hardware/OS level) so I would need an extremely competent SA to work with. There are many of those. Unfortunately, not every company has one. Or the one they have is so overworked that he/she is unable to help when and as needed. There is some more flexibility in using file system files, in that as long as there is disk space available somewhere, and I have access to it, I do not have to disturb my SA to add space to my database. And there are ways to make file systems work almost as fast as raw.

Having said all that.... it is ALWAYS a pleasure to work with someone who knows what they are doing. I have worked with SAs I've adored, and with DBAs I've hated. The only thing I really hate is someone who is incompetent who tries to pass him/herself off as an expert.

My SAs don't NEED bribes to get them to help me, but I DO appreciate the work they do and bring them presents -- like those Hershey's kisses -- to let them know that. Come holiday time, I'll bake and bring in cookies too.

I am glad you stopped lurking, even if only for the moment... you keep us, or at least me, honest here :)

Rachel