RE: Rollback Segment Shrinkage Question

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:21:28 GMT

short answer: yes, you are right, it will not shrink if no transaction needs an additional extent.

I tested this when optimal first came out -- rollback segment did not shrink until I needed space.

Rachel

>From: Nikolay Kumanov <nkumanov_at_zgb.bg>
>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
>Subject: RE: Rollback Segment Shrinkage Question
>Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:35:32 -0800
>
>"Oracle concepts" manual says in chapter 4:
>
>"If a transaction needs to continue writing rollback information from one
>extent to another extent in the rollback segment, Oracle compares the
>current size of the rollback segment to the segment's optimal size. If the
>rollback segment is larger than its optimal size, and if the extents
>immediately following the extent just filled are inactive, then Oracle
>deallocates consecutive nonactive extents from the rollback segment until
>the total size of the rollback segment is equal to or close to, but not
>less
>than, its optimal size. Oracle always frees the oldest inactive extents, as
>these are the least likely to be used by consistent reads. "
>
>My question for the gurus: Does that mean that if no transactions need to
>allocate more than one extent in the RBS, it will never shrink back
>automatically?
>
>TIA,
>
>Dr. Nikolay Kumanov
>
>MIS Manager, Zeitungsgruppe Bulgarien GmbH
>47, Tsarigradsko chaussee, Sofia 1504, Bulgaria
>phone: +(359-2)4339-643, fax: +(359-2)946-1286
>mailto:nkumanov_at_zgb.bg
>
>"Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's
>covering mistakes. Real boats rock." - Frank Herbert, "Chapterhouse: Dune"

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at Received on Tue Oct 17 2000 - 11:21:28 CDT