dumb & dumber / RE: Bribing the SA (Mythos vs Reality)

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:24:47 -0700

I think the following is funny, but I'm probably wrong. :)

excerpt:

Study 1: Humor

         In Study 1, we decided to explore people's perceptions
         of their competence in a domain that requires
         sophisticated knowledge and wisdom about the tastes
         and reactions of other people. That domain was humor.
         To anticipate what is and what others will find funny,
         one must have subtle and tacit knowledge about other
         people's tastes. Thus, in Study 1 we presented
         participants with a series of jokes and asked them to
         rate the humor of each one. We then compared their
         ratings with those provided by a panel of experts,
         namely, professional comedians who make their living
         by recognizing what is funny and reporting it to their
         audiences. By comparing each participant's ratings with
         those of our expert panel, we could roughly assess
         participants' ability to spot humor.

         Our key interest was how perceptions of that ability
         converged with actual ability. Specifically, we wanted
         to discover whether those who did poorly on our
         measure would recognize the low quality of their
         performance. Would they recognize it or would they be
         unaware?

         Method

         Participants.    Participants were 65 Cornell University
         undergraduates from a variety of courses in psychology
         who earned extra credit for their participation.

         Materials.    We created a 30-item questionnaire made
         up of jokes we felt were of varying comedic value.
         Jokes were taken from Woody Allen (1975) , Al
         Frankin (1992) , and a book of "really silly" pet jokes
         by Jeff Rovin (1996) . To assess joke quality, we
         contacted several professional comedians via electronic
         mail and asked them to rate each joke on a scale ranging
         from 1 ( not at all funny ) to 11 ( very funny ). Eight
         comedians responded to our request (Bob Crawford,
         Costaki Economopoulos, Paul Frisbie, Kathleen
         Madigan, Ann Rose, Allan Sitterson, David Spark, and
         Dan St. Paul).

On 17 Oct 2000, at 19:10, Rachel Carmichael wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:10:50 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
Send reply to:  	ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
From:           	"Rachel Carmichael" <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Subject:        	RE: Bribing the SA (Mythos vs Reality)