corruption theory link / RE: SAC NORAD .... how to break it?

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:45:58 -0700

Not sure if this helps or not, but since there is some general discussion of how (supposedly) precarious buffering and controller functions can be in an OS, it might be worth checking out:

  http://home.att.net/~tbcox/corrupt2.txt

excerpt:
Problem ID          : 1015744.6
Affected Platforms  : Generic: not platform specific
Affected Products   : Oracle7 Server
Affected Components : RDBMS Generic
Affected Oracle Vsn : Generic

   It is important to realize that monitoring of hardware is required    for all operating systems. Hardware monitors can sense electrical    signals on the busses and can accurately record them even at high    speed. A hardware monitor keeps observing the system even when it    is malfunctioning, and thus, it can be used to debug the system.    (Jain, 1991 99) These tools can help determine the cause of the    problem and detect problems like controller error and media    faulting which are frequent corruption contributors. In any case,    there are many opportunities for blocks, either on disk or in the    buffer cache, to become corrupt.
[***]Fixing the corruption can

   sometimes provide even greater opportunities.

Conclusion

   Data block corruption is an ongoing problem on all operating    systems, especially UNIX. There are many types and causes of    corruptions to consider. Advanced system configurations can    increase the chance and hardware problems are a common source of    corruptions. When receiving block corruption errors, remember that    a couple of them are

[***]not physical corruptions but memory

   corruptions that are never written to disk.

   Oracle Customer Support provides a number of bulletins on block    corruption problems that help recover what is left of the data    once corruption has occurred. If block corruption occurs on a    machine, be sure to identify the type of corruption and establish    a plan for its correction.

On 17 Oct 2000, at 9:27, Peter Barnett wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:27:12 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
Send reply to:  	ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
From:           	Peter Barnett  <pnbarne_at_shep.bcbso.com>
Subject:        	RE: SAC NORAD .... how to break it?