Some questions about Oracle8i enterprise 8.1.6 on NT from a beginner.

From: Dang-vu Thai <dvtdora_at_doramail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 09:48:38 +0700

Hello everybody,

I'm using Oracle8i 8.1.6 enterprise on NT. I createda database mydb1 with Database Configuration Assistant. It takes about 800 Megs of hard disk. Did I do anything wrong?

I read Installation Guide, Administrator Guide and SQL Plus Guide, but I'm not sure I understand them well.

I use Oracle Administration Assistant for Wndows NT to create an external OS user. More exactly I choose an account on my NT as an external OS user (my NT is a stand-alone server). There's only one role granted to this user. It's connect role with admin option No and default yes. After that I run SQLPlus system/manager in command prompt, then startup open mydb1. And there's an error: insufficient privileges. Do I need to run connect system/manager before running startup open mydb2?

Now I don't know where to start first. Do you give me some instructions? Fir example, what document I have to read first,...

Or do you tell me what I have to do to do these things (I have a little knowledge about SQL because I installed and used MS SQL server7 and PostgreSQL on RedHat, so you can answer me briefly):

Help me please.
Thanks in advance.

Thai