DB mini-clone

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 07:08:56 -0700

I have a LARGE data warehouse instance.
It is much too large to clone onto my test system.

My goal for this posting & project is to be able to a couple of "practice" Oracle upgrades against this instance on my test system, before I do it for real.

I want to take just the SYSTEM tablespace and associated control files onto the test system. I'm hoping to be able to DROP all other tablespaces leaving only the SYSTEM tablespace and to get Oracle to OPEN the instance. Then I'll do a clean shutdown & apply the upgrade.

  1. Can this be done?
  2. If so, how?
--
Charlie Mengler               Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com              10641 Scripps Summit Ct