Re: ops vs standby

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:48:47 GMT

part 1:

unless your application is designed for ops, you may (please note MAY) have problems with pinging. This has been alleviated in 8.1.6 I believe, but I haven't dealt with it firsthand.

OPS is NOT redundant, at least the database isn't. Standby is a copy of the database on another machine, OPS is another instance on a different machine. An instance is NOT the physical files of the database, but rather the processes associated with running the database.

Backup -- irrelevant either way, you do a hot backup. OPS you'll have to back up additional archived logs I believe.

With OPS you will also have to deal with raw partitions. If you have a really good SA (and a good relationship with this person), then you have no problem.

Part 2:

sorry -- dunno. But I do know that a database link only goes in one direction, so if you set one up from the secure db to the one outside the firewall, no one should be able to get into the secure db using it.

>From: Kris Austin <kaustin_at_advance.net>
>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
>Subject: ops vs standby
>Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 06:55:43 -0800
>

>two-part question:
>
>1st
>if money were not an issue, which implementation is best in terms of
>scalability, redundancy, availability and backup issues? i have read this
>article:
>
>http://www.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/00-May/o30tom.html
>
>but i want to present this question to the field to see if they'd like to
>share their experiences. i have NO experience configuring/implementing
>ops... how difficult is it?
>
>2nd question....
>
>we are setting up an e-store on one of our websites, and they want
>transacations stored in a secured db behind a firewall. is it possible for
>a database link from the secured db server to a non-secured db server be a
>breach of security? can anyone from the non-secured db connect (in
>reverse) to the secured db through the database link? we need to select
>data from non-secured database. is a database link secure enough, or must
>i keep snapshots of data in the secured server (in essence, have the same
>data in two locations).
>
>thanks!! i'm still new to this replication stuff, and security issues.
>
>kris austin
>
>--
>--
>Author: Kris Austin
> INET: kaustin_at_advance.net

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at Received on Mon Oct 16 2000 - 12:48:47 CDT