RE: Giving grants

From: Jeff Gumpert <Jeff_at_GumpertConsulting.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 00:26:50 -0400

Hi,

I'm new the list but I figured I'd jump right in and say "hi". :)

The permissions you can grant are:

	SELECT
	UPDATE
	INSERT
	DELETE

You can also use the keyword ALL to grant all of the above permissions. To grant more than one permission separate with commas. Here is an example of granting only SELECT permissions on a table named EMPLOYEE owned by user SCOTT to a user named REPORTING.

GRANT SELECT ON scott.employee TO reporting;

This command is not case sensitive. Note that if you have more than one user for which you would like to grant permissions is much simpler (from an administrative perspective) to create a role, grant permissions to the role
(simply substitute the role name for the username in the above command) and
grant the role to the appropriate users.

If you have a group of tables you'd like to grant the same permissions for it's much easier to just build your SQL statements from dictionary views. The following example will grant SELECT permissions on all tables owned by SCOTT to user X. Note that you will need to be logged in as user SCOTT to run this statement.

SELECT 'GRANT SELECT ON '||TABLE_NAME||' TO X;' FROM USER_TABLES ORDER BY 1; Hope this helps!

Jeff Gumpert
President
Gumpert Consulting Services
jeff_at_gumpertconsulting.com