RE : Mainframe-class

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:29:21 +0200

Nosie,

  If you use Oracle, use it on Unix. It doesn't mean that it doesn't run on other mainframe operating systems, it has more to do with culture - and speed with which bugs are fixed. Oracle was long developed on VMS, now it is Unix; putting aside NT, for which market and the spur of SQL Server are good incentives for maintaining a good product, the closer you are to the 'native' environment the better.   Compaq Tru64 (much in favour with telecom companies) and AIX are reliable, mainframe-like platforms. But top-of-the range Sun boxes (I have seen same used in equity trading) or HP-UX platforms also are arguable choices, as well as Sequent.
Now, technical qualities are one thing, a company's prospects another, and try to get an assessment of the quality of local support.

--
Regards,

  Stephane Faroult
  email: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com