Re: Start Date question: how to modify it in Oracle & SQL Server

From: <MTPConsulting_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:13:57 EDT

Dates in Oracle are based on the host computer's system date. You need to change the system date to affect the Oracle date. There is no internal offset stored in Oracle. I suspect the same for SQL Server, but don't know for sure.

For a date stored in the database, the actual numeric value is stored, again, there is no offset.

Marc Perkowitz
MTP Systems Consulting

In a message dated 10/12/00 7:01:34 PM Central Daylight Time, hdaiminger_at_vivonet.com writes:

<< Hi!

 In Oracle, all dates are based upon a fixed point in time. So internally a  specific date is stored as a REAL number (which is something like the number  of seconds from that specific date onwards).

 How can I change that start date upon which all dates in Oracle are based?

 SQL Server 7 has something similar. How can I change the start date for SQL  Server?

 Thanks, Received on Fri Oct 13 2000 - 10:13:57 CDT