Re:Fwd: Database access by extranet

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:25:56 -0400

Stephane,

    Well, I'm not sure about those out there who are cloning their DB's for outside the firewall, but we've configured out Extranet to access the db inside the firewall. We're using a Raptor firewall which has a special configuration for SQL*Net connections and we've got it setup in a very strange way so that it would be impossible for someone outside to get in, at least before the alarms go off. I'm looking into separating the data needed by the extranet from the internal systems & placing that db between two firewalls in what's called the DMZ. But otherwise it has not been a problem. The DMZ idea is to allow for maintenance on the source system while allowing the external site to keep functioning.

Dick Goulet

Subject: Fwd: Database access by extranet Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?= <stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com> Date: 10/12/00 12:50 AM

I've asked this question yesterday and got no answers. This is the second run. I'm sure sombody has a dss application accessed by extranet.

> Hi all,
>
> By the end of the year we'll have a small
> datawarehouse in production. It will be accessible
> internally but also by our extranet. The extranet
> team
> wants a second copy of the datawarehouse only for
> the
> extranet, so intruders have no physical access to
> the
> datawarehouse number 1.
>
> We may get the budget to clone all databases being
> accessed by the extranet.
> Anydody doing that ?
>
> TIA
>
> =====
> Stephane Paquette
> DBA Oracle
> stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com

> Get Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from
> anywhere!
> http://mail.yahoo.com/
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=
> INET: stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com
>
> Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California -- Public Internet

> E-Mail message
> to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of
> 'ListGuru') and in
> ORACLE-L
> from). You may
> (like subscribing).